The origin of Calca and Pina Breeding House is back to the nineteenth century, having as its driver Antonio de Calca e Pina, by then a farmer worker in the village of Sousel in Alentejo, starting using Lusitano stallions and mares from Alter Real origin, for agricultural labor e animal tracking supply.
Some years later he expanded to other races importing some German stallions, has it is proven in the records books since 1920.. By then the main goal stills the production of animal to suply local labor force but also to support of portuguese army.
With the advent of mechanized agriculture in the last quarter of the twentieth century, the initial vocation was losing expression and the date of 1974 it totaly disappeared, as well as the whole genetic heritage.
In 1990, with the acquisition of a batch of hanoverian mares, it began a new cycle within the rules of the then newly created book of race "Portuguese Sport Horses", designed for the production of horses for show jumping and eventing.
Nowadays Calca and Pina Breeding House still maintains theoriginal mark to fire to home of his horses right thigh
With the good achievements from last two seasons, where we managed to have always several horses at the top portuguese eventing ranking, with the cross border selling (Ireland, England, Germany and EUA), beeing every year at World Breed Championship at Le Lion D’Angers, we believe this year will be the year for consolidation.